The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is dedicated to creating a movement based on rational discourse and political liberalism, both of which have come under threat from across the political spectrum. Founded by a diverse, cross-partisan group of leaders including former world chess champion Garry Kasparov; Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Kerrey; and Pulitzer Prize-winners Bret Stephens and Anne Applebaum, we are committed to data-driven decision-making and combating the twin threats of Far-Left and Far-Right radicalism. Our Board and extended network give us unique credibility and a global perspective as we educate people about core liberal principles and empower them to prioritize these values in their civic behavior.
About the role
The Communications Director will work with the Executive Director and will lead RDI’s communications strategy. The top 3 priorities for the role are:
- Developing a holistic distribution strategy for disseminating RDI content and significantly increasing the subscriber base. This involves leveraging a video-driven platform to build a committed and motivated audience;
- Developing an effective digital strategy to manage and grow RDI’s presence online all the while engaging with a devoted follower base;
- Maximizing earned media by booking appearances for RDI leadership, placing written/video content in appropriate outlets, and driving news coverage.
Communications Director Job Responsibilities:
- Establish and drive a multi-channel communications strategy with goal of building a broad and dedicated subscriber base;
- Build out RDI’s presence as an online media platform amplifying reasonable voices and driving subscriber engagement;
- Provide out-of-the-box thinking related to media narratives and ideas that allow RDI to stand out in the marketplace;
- Drive significant earned media through end-to-end PR tactics such as proactive pitching and news releases; pursuing speaking engagements and partnerships; ongoing media coverage and activities reporting; and related supporting PR documents to enhance RDI’s visibility and reputation with reporters covering the pro-democracy movement, government, politics, disinformation, etc.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director & Director of Content to manage and advance RDI’s marketing/content calendar;
- Work with other members of the team from designers to writers to maintain brand voice and brand integrity across all platforms;
- Manage communications materials & media relations while developing contacts with media members, influencers, and community leaders;
- Build and lead a team of communication, marketing, and design professionals both internally and out-of-house;
- Assist in the creation of digital, video, audio and print content — bonus points for having skills in self-creation of digital content;
- Track views, engagement, and conversation rate across various platforms and make data-driven decisions to maximize impact;
- Help facilitate & manage RDI events;
- Create and manage a budget for external vendors and manage those relationships and costs.
Qualifications of an ideal candidate:
- Come prepared with creative ideas for building out an online video-driven platform that can gain wide attention and exposure while maximizing engagement with an ever-growing audience of subscribers;
- Strong proficiency in managing both traditional media and developing innovative communications strategies for digital and social media;
- Understanding of copywriting, graphic design, layout, and publishing;
- Working knowledge of content management systems and digital graphics production
- Adept with social media platform management and digital marketing tools/analytics
- Experience with search engine marketing, Google Analytics, and Google AdWords
- Impeccable copywriting and copy editing abilities;
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro);
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) & Google Suite;
- Strong leadership track record;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- An exceptional eye for detail and a passion for teamwork;
- A self-starter who is highly capable of managing oneself and others.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, political science, or business;
- 5-8 years of communications, marketing or public relations or related experience;
- Established media relations (with a rolodex of contacts in prominent media outlets) would be considered a significant plus.
Logistics & Benefits
- This position is full-time (to say the least);
- All positions are currently remote but will eventually be based in NYC unless otherwise indicated. This position can remain remote for the right candidate;
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience, a benefits package, unlimited vacation, unique opportunities for ongoing professional development, and an exciting work environment with people who are incredibly passionate about returning reason to our national political discourse.
How to Apply
Please email our recruitment team at [email protected] with the following materials attached: 1) resume, 2) short cover letter, 3) a short, strong writing sample, 4) and an example of a presentation or any other external communication materials. In the subject line, please write “Comms Director Candidate” followed by your full name.
The Renew Democracy Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.