Graphic Design Internship
The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to renewing and advancing the values of liberal democracy in the U.S. and around the world. We promote intellectual humility and an empathetic approach to disagreement.
We have a small, tight-knit executive team, so interns will have the unique opportunity to learn all aspects of how to run an organization and make a personal impact on America’s democratic landscape. Because we are a start-up organization, interns should also be ready to play multiple roles as we have an “all hands on deck” mentality.
All roles will have a mix of substantive and administrative responsibilities.
Interns will have unprecedented access to our Board of Directors through our lunch & learns and other events—including renowned chess grandmaster & Putin critic Garry Kasparov, Senator Heidi Heitkamp, Lt. Col Alexander Vindman, Pulitzer Prize winner Bret Stephens, former head of the Republican National Committee, Michael Steele, and many others. Check out our website for more info!
Academic Credit: Offered upon the school department’s approval
About the role
This role will involve working on some combination of the below. Please be sure to review examples of our work including our social media posts (Facebook, Instagram), Website & videos prior to applying!
- Design social media posts, thumbnails, and other assets alongside our media team;
- Design and update web-pages using Elementor and WordPress;
- Design and orchestrate event promotion with visually-appealing posts, fliers, etc;
- Improve user experience across our platforms;
- Create engaging online content that effectively summarizes key ideas;
- Assist our brand development and leverage existing branding to create stunning landing pages, fliers, social media posts, etc all with the goal of communicating RDI’s brand identity and mission.
Qualifications of an ideal candidate:
- Exceptional undergraduate, graduate, and recently-graduated designers are encouraged to apply. Designers without a degree but with commensurate work experience also welcome;
- Detail-oriented to a fault;
- Strong belief in RDI’s mission and values;
- Ability to communicate complex ideas simply;
- Significant Graphic and Web Design experience;
- Politically well-informed & interested in promoting liberal democracy;
- Experience in Elementor Pro is a plus;
- Open-minded and willing to interact with a broad range of often-conflicting political points of view;
- Social, articulate, and a self-starter unafraid to take initiative;
- Experience with Google Suite (including Google docs, sheets, etc) is a plus.
Logistics & Benefits
- An ability to work remotely due to the pandemic and, if/when it’s safe to return to the office, an opportunity to work at an exciting start-up with unlimited snacks, coffee, and other perks;
- Our internships last 3-6 months. Interns can either work full time (40 hours/week) or part time (25+ hours/week); but can be flexible depending on applicant’s circumstance;
- Hours are flexible and we are willing to work around your academic schedule;
- An opportunity to work closely with senior organizational leadership, including the Executive Director and Director of Content & Strategy, as well as access to members of the Board of Directors, and other individuals from RDI’s extended network;
- This is an unpaid internship;
We recruit on a rolling basis. Please send a resume, short cover letter, and portfolio of relevant work samples to our recruitment team at [email protected]. In the subject line, please write “Graphic Design Intern” followed by your full name. Only complete applications will be reviewed. The writing style should not be overly academic—the point is to see how well you write something meant to be read by the public. Please also indicate your desired hours per week and start date in your cover letter. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
Our Values Statement
Our founders have worked with concerned individuals across the political spectrum to create a comprehensive document in support of Constitutional democracy worldwide.
We have just begun, and gathered signatures from economists, professors, journalists, authors, investors, historians, researchers, business executives, actors and entertainers, and more. See the list here.
The more signatures we have — the more prevalent we can make constitutional ideas in our society.
Join the fight for constitutional values by adding your signature below: