PR Consultant & Manager
The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is dedicated to creating a movement based on rational discourse and political liberalism, both of which have come under threat from across the political spectrum. Founded by a diverse, cross-partisan group of leaders including former world chess champion Garry Kasparov; Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Kerrey; and Pulitzer Prize-winners Bret Stephens and Anne Applebaum, we are committed to data-driven decision-making and combating the twin threats of Far-Left and Far-Right radicalism. Our Board and extended network give us unique credibility and a global perspective as we educate people about core liberal principles and empower them to prioritize these values in their civic behavior.
About the role
RDI is looking for a Public Relations Manager to work with from mid-June until early September with the possibility of an extension. This person will help to manage PR around a significant project leveraging dissident voices from around the world to bring attention to liberal values in the US. This project will be released in early July in partnership with a prominent media company. The ideal candidate will need to drive high-level media results and demonstrate consistent strategic thinking across a range of media platforms. The PR Manager will be responsible for executing a variety of communications and media relations functions including, but not limited to, securing positive, on-message media coverage, managing internal & external stakeholders, activity reporting, and other associated duties as they relate to earned media. The successful candidate will be a gifted communicator, highly skilled at distilling messages, driving earned media, and securing bookings & placing RDI written content in appropriate channels.
In this role, you will:
- Drive significant earned media through end-to-end PR tactics such as proactive pitching and news releases; pursuing speaking engagements and partnerships; ongoing media coverage and activities reporting; and related supporting PR documents to enhance RDI’s visibility and reputation with reporters covering the pro-democracy movement, government, politics, disinformation, etc.
- Works closely with internal content development staff, using sound PR tactics to place bylines on an ongoing basis in targeted media publications
- Coordinates written responses to reporter requests, offering relevant experts and ideas
- Have a strong understanding of the media landscape and cultural relevance to drive the moment and mediagenic narratives for RDI
- Proactively create storytelling opportunities to communicate RDI news, messages, and story ideas to traditional and new media, reaching target audiences and connecting to themes of national/international importance
- Research, monitor and track offerings of RDI marketing efforts using a small number of apps for monitoring, tracking, & reporting
- Manage a marketing budget with precision and accountability as needed
- Provide out-of-the-box thinking as it relates to media narratives and ideas that allow RDI to stand out in the marketplace (both related to its flagship media project & long-term)
- Proactively anticipate and help address RDI’s immediate PR needs, and respond in an appropriate manner
- Proactively provide internal feedback on how RDI can improve communicating its message externally
- Identifies thought leadership opportunities that align with RDI’s overall marketing goals (i.e. increasing RDI’s membership)
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, dynamically adjust and refine marketing strategy as needed.
- Minimum of five (5) years working with clients in the politics/nonprofits/government reform spaces
- Must have PR agency background, or relevant in-house experience
- Experience working on successful public relations programs preferred
- Proven network of a broad range of earned media contacts (online, print, podcast, broadcast, radio)
- Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal format
- Team player with the confidence to take the lead and execute with minimal guidance
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Proficiency with major social media management tools a significant plus
How to Apply
Please email us at [email protected] with the following materials attached: 1) resume or description of your firm, 2) short cover letter, 3) a short, strong writing sample, 4) and examples of previous PR work.
The Renew Democracy Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.