The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is dedicated to creating a movement based on rational discourse and political liberalism, both of which have come under threat from across the political spectrum. Founded by a diverse, cross-partisan group of leaders including former world chess champion, Garry Kasparov, Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Kerrey; and Pulitzer Prize-winners Bret Stephens and Anne Applebaum, we are committed to data-driven decision-making and combating the twin threats of Far-Left and Far-Right radicalism. Our Board and extended network give us unique credibility and a global perspective enabling us to build a new political movement in the US not beholden to either of these extremes.
With autocratic movements growing in strength in countries around the globe, we must make a stand in defense of constitutional democracy in the United States because American leadership is paramount to guiding the free world through its current political, economic, and health crises. “As America, so the world.”
This role will work directly with the Executive Director and will serve as a generalist, with two key components: substantive programmatic support & administrative responsibilities. Ultimately, as a start-up, we have an “all hands on deck” mentality and all team members have the opportunity to gain wide exposure; we don’t believe in the phrase: “That’s not my job.”
About the role
Research & Programmatic Support (50%):
- Support the research & writing behind our weekly newsletter, upcoming graphic novel, regular videos, fundraising materials, and our blog;
- Help conceptualize events and then coordinate with a number of other stakeholders to execute on them;
- Work with our Director of Content & Strategy and other relevant stakeholders to pull together content for our website & social media platforms;
- Conduct political, legal & factual research through online databases as needed;
- Work with external partners such as NGO’s, influencers, & high-profile political figures to advance RDI’s mission;
- Offer other suggestions for ways that our organization can drive impact ranging from new initiatives to new events to new partnerships!
- Manage the intern team of 10-18 people (to include all elements of the process including recruitment & onboarding);
- General Project Management and making sure that RDI priorities are being effectively executed in a timely manner. This includes keeping track of projects both large and small and making sure that they are on track and foreseeing & calling attention to any problems before they arise;
- Help maintain & recommend appropriate project metrics to determine success of RDI priorities;
- Support the ED in daily activities including effective calendar management, meeting preparation, and proactively identifying & ensuring timely execution of follow-up action items;
- Assist the ED with development activities, including keeping track of donors & meetings, and developing a list of prospects;
- Coordinate scheduling & agendas for various meetings with potential partners, funders, and other 3rd parties;
- Provide general office & administrative support to the RDI team as needed including management of expenses, developing & maintaining a well-organized shared filing system, etc;
- Be willing to manage the basics of maintaining the RDI website (in conjunction with others who have more wordpress expertise)
- Maintain a well-organized Customer Relationship Management system (CRM).
Qualifications of an ideal candidate:
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to RDI’s mission, work and values;
- Bachelor’s degree; 2+ years of work experience in a fast-paced setting;
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality when working on sensitive material with high-profile individuals;
- Open-minded and interested in learning from those with whom you may disagree;
- Able to represent the organization and effectively work with a number of third parties;
- Highly organized and uniquely detail-oriented;
- Efficient, effective, and clear writing style alongside a strong ability to present well in meetings;
- Able to work well independently with minimal oversight in an unpredictable environment;
- Knowledgeable about political affairs and interested in promoting liberal democracy & civics education;
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive (particularly Excel & Google sheets);
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management and relevant online databases a plus
Logistics & Benefits
- All positions are currently remote but will eventually be based in NYC unless otherwise indicated
- We offer a competitive salary, benefits package, paid time off, unique opportunities for ongoing professional development, along with other benefits.
- Flexible hours
Please send a resume, short cover letter, and short (~500 words) writing sample that could be used for public consumption on a political, historical, or related topic to our recruitment team at [email protected]. In the subject line, please write “Program Associate Candidate” followed by your full name.
The Renew Democracy Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.