Generalist Technology Specialist Internship
This internship is for Spring 2021.
The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to renewing and advancing the values of liberal democracy in the U.S. We promote intellectual humility and an empathetic approach to disagreement.
We have a small, tight-knit executive team, so interns will have the unique opportunity to learn all aspects of how to run an organization and make a direct impact on America’s democratic landscape. Because we are a start-up organization, interns should also be ready to play multiple roles as we have an “all hands on deck” mentality. All roles will have a mix of substantive and administrative responsibilities.
Interns will have nearly unprecedented access to our Board of Directors—including renowned chess champion Garry Kasparov, Senator Heidi Heitkamp, Senator Bob Kerrey, Pulitzer Prize winner Bret Stephens and many others. Check out our leadership board for more info!
About the role
Responsibilities will include some of the following. Candidates should have interest in some of these, but do not necessarily have to have experience in all of them:
- Using WordPress to keep our website updated on a daily basis;
- Creating and updating web pages;
- Incorporating website design changes as needed;
- Running a CRM (EveryAction), designing emails, segmenting audiences;
- Injecting CRM forms into our website to collect signups;
- Create and manage Zoom webinars for live events;
- Domain knowledge;
- Google Analytics knowledge;
- Google Search Console knowledge;
- HTML, CSS, or any other relevant coding experience
Qualifications of an ideal candidate:
- Exceptional undergraduates, graduate students, and recent grads are encouraged to apply;
- Detail-oriented to a fault;
- In full support of RDI’s mission and values;
- Experience in the fundraising and development space;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Open-minded and willing to interact with a broad range of often-conflicting political points of view;
- Social, articulate, and a self-starter unafraid to take initiative;
- Experience with Google Suite (especially Google Sheets), Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools (especially EveryAction), Zoom, and other development databases strongly preferred.
Logistics & Benefits
- An ability to work remotely due to the current crisis and, if/when it’s safe to return to the office, an opportunity to work at an exciting start-up with unlimited snacks, coffee, and other perks.
- Our internships last 4-6 months. Interns can either work full time (40 hours/week) or part time (15-25 hours/week);
- Hours are flexible and we are willing to work around your academic schedule;
- An opportunity to work closely with senior organizational leadership, including the Executive Director, as well as access to members of the Board of Directors, and other individuals from RDI’s extended network.
- This is an unpaid internship.
- A typical day could include spending a few updating the website and doing various CRM related tasks, a lunch-and-learn with a prominent political figure, a world champion poker player, or a business leader, time spent coordinating with the Newsletter and Event teams to put together digital content.
We are recruiting on a rolling basis. Please send a resume, brief cover letter covering relevant experience and interest in the role, and either a portfolio or examples of your web development and management experience to email@example.com. Please also indicate your desired hours per week and start date in your cover letter. Only complete applications will be reviewed.