The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to renewing and advancing the values of liberal democracy in the U.S. We promote intellectual humility and an empathetic approach to disagreement.
We have a small, tight-knit executive team, so interns will have the unique opportunity to learn all aspects of how to run an organization and make a direct impact on America’s democratic landscape. Because we are a start-up organization, interns should also be ready to play multiple roles as we have an “all hands on deck” mentality. All roles will have a mix of substantive and administrative responsibilities.
Interns will have nearly unprecedented access to our Board of Directors—including renowned chess champion Garry Kasparov, Senator Heidi Heitkamp, Senator Bob Kerrey, Pulitzer Prize winner Bret Stephens and many others. Check out our leadership board for more info!
About the role
Responsibilities will include some of the following. Candidates should have interest in some of these, but do not necessarily have to have experience in all of them:
Working with the marketing team to create and implement social media campaigns that promote RDI to stakeholders and different segments of our target demographics;
Creating engaging online content, and monitor analytics to draw in and maintain a wide audience. This will involve writing pithy captions that effectively summarize key ideas;
Assisting the drafting and distribution of RDI’s weekly newsletter and other materials;
Helping to source, plan, execute, and staff events from small roundtables to large conferences;
Sitting in on meetings and producing accurate, professional notes and takeaways;
Writing clear & concise memos for consumption by staff members and the Board of Directors;
Coordinating communication threads with RDI’s stakeholders and external partners;
Using and maintaining our customer relationship management database;
Authoring high-quality articles and reports targeting RDI’s audience;
Completing various other tasks and special projects.
Qualifications of an ideal candidate:
Exceptional undergraduates, graduate students, recent grads; or those with relevant & commensurate work experience are encouraged to apply;
Knowledge of sound designing and sound mixing is a must;
Experience editing with Adobe Audition/Premiere Pro is recommended;
Flexible in terms of applications of sound for any type of video;
Detail-oriented to a fault;
In full support of RDI’s mission and values;
Experience thinking through effective distribution of video content a plus;
Knowledge of graphic design is a plus;
Open-minded and willing to interact with those whom they may disagree with;
Social, articulate, and a self-starter unafraid to take initiative;
Excellent communication skills;
Logistics & Benefits
- An ability to work remotely due to the current crisis and, if/when it’s safe to return to the office, an opportunity to work at an exciting start-up with unlimited snacks, coffee, and other perks.
- Our internships last 4-6 months. Interns can either work full time (40 hours/week) or part time (15-25 hours/week);
- Hours are flexible and we are willing to work around your academic schedule;
- An opportunity to work closely with senior organizational leadership, including the Executive Director, as well as access to members of the Board of Directors, and other individuals from RDI’s extended network.
- This is an unpaid internship.
- A typical day could include spending a few hours executing on a video project, a lunch-and-learn with a prominent political figure, a world champion poker player, or a business leader, time spent coordinating with the Executive Team to shoot a new project, and a team meeting to conceptualize new video ideas.
We are recruiting on a rolling basis. Please send a resume, brief cover letter, examples of your video/creative work to email@example.com. Please also indicate your desired hours per week and start date in your cover letter. Only complete applications will be reviewed.