Renew Democracy Initiative (“RDI”) is a non-partisan non-profit committed to unmasking and confronting the alliance of dictators threatening freedom around the world. By doing so, we inspire those in America and other free countries to value and protect their own democracies. Founded in 2017 by former World Chess Champion and Russian dissident Garry Kasparov, we create popular and engaging content to unite Americans across the political spectrum in defense of democratic ideals.
Our work is guided by RDI’s four key pillars:
Educate: We leverage the voices of unique messengers to organize events and create written and video content that highlights the threats facing liberal democracy while uniting disparate communities around common principles.
Advocate: We aim to shift opinion and behavior among targeted groups of thought leaders, decision-makers, and other key constituencies on issues critical to RDI’s mission.
Act: Where we can add unique value, we offer direct support to those whose freedom is threatened by authoritarianism.
Build Community: Both virtually and in-person, we build communities of thought leaders, dissidents, students, and others who believe in and are committed to the values of liberal democracy.
We are a small team with an outsized impact. A successful candidate should be able to work independently in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment without sacrificing the details. You should be comfortable taking initiative and owning your projects from start to finish. This is a great opportunity for someone interested in cultivating their non-profit management skills and growing their operational and development capabilities in a hands-on environment.
About the Role
The Development & Operations Associate will play a critical role in providing logistical and administrative support to the development and operations departments, reporting to the Director of Stewardship.
You will work with the Director of Stewardship to develop and execute fundraising strategies and events. You will be responsible for development administration, including but not limited to: gift processing, gift acknowledgements and annual tax letters, and managing RDI’s fundraising CRM. You will play a key role in event planning and execution, including for RDI’s annual Heroes of Democracy Gala in New York City, Frontlines of Freedom Conference in Washington, DC, and several smaller fundraising and community cultivation events throughout the year.
You will work with the Director of Operations to organize and maintain RDI’s team calendar, Google Drive, and other systems; assist with the recruitment and onboarding processes; plan and execute internal meetings and events; and support with special projects as needed. You will also be responsible for answering the main line, checking the mail at RDI’s DC office, and offering administrative support to the CEO when necessary.
This is a hybrid position located in Washington, DC. You should expect to be in RDI’s DC office, which is located at 900 19th Street NW, Washington, DC 20006, at least two days per week. There are additional in-person responsibilities, including, but not limited to, evening events and various in-person meetings in the DC area. You should expect occasional trips to New York City and additional domestic travel as needed.
Development Support (50% of time)
- Complete the gift processing cycle in RDI’s fundraising CRM, including inputting and processing all gifts and sending out timely acknowledgement letters to donors
- Create and send annual tax letters and gift receipts to donors
- Ensure all donor information is tracked appropriately and in a timely manner in RDI’s fundraising CRM
- Conduct research and reports on current and prospective donors using all tools available
- Pull donor reports from the fundraising CRM as needed
- Support the planning and execution of all RDI events, some of which are held in the evenings and on weekends
Operations Support (50% of time)
- Support the Chief Executive Officer at DC-based, in-person meetings as needed
- Organize and maintain RDI’s team calendar, Google Drive, and other systems
- Assist with recruitment and onboarding processes
- Plan and execute internal team meetings and events
- Check the mail at the DC office weekly and ensure it is properly managed
- Answer and direct the RDI main phone line
- Manage the DC office space
- Support with internal special projects as needed
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to RDI’s mission, work, and values
- Strict confidentiality and discretion when working on sensitive material with high-profile individuals and public figures
- Experience working with a fundraising or development team preferred
- Experience with event management and support preferred
- Highly organized and uniquely detail-oriented
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills, with a focus on effective communication
- Experience with CRM systems and/or similar databases
- Experience with fundraising CRMs, especially EveryAction/NGP VAN, is a plus
Requirements & Logistics
- U.S. work authorization
- Bachelor’s degree required with 2+ years of relevant work experience
- Ability to work in RDI’s office in Washington, DC at least two days per week
- The estimated start date for this position is March 4, 2024
We offer a competitive salary at $55,000 to $65,000 depending on experience, generous benefits, flexible hours, paid time off, and unique opportunities for ongoing professional development. Some of these benefits include a 401(k) retirement plan and a variety of nationwide medical, dental, and vision insurance options.
How to Apply
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write “Development and Operations Associate Application” followed by your full name. In your email, please confirm your ability to work in RDI’s office in Washington, DC at least two days per week. Feel free to include any additional information you would like us to have when considering you for this position.
Renew Democracy Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.